When something is freshly painted, it looks and feels brand new. The cost of such a clean slate, however, can be quite high. The total cost of hiring a professional painter to paint the exterior of a two-story, 2,500 square foot home is roughly $4,000. This does not include the cost of the paint or the cost of labour. Painters' hourly rates can vary from $20 to $60, with the national average hovering around $40 in major cities.
Painting the inside or outside of your home can be expensive, but with some planning, you can keep the price down without sacrificing quality. It doesn't matter if you do the work yourself or hire someone else to do it; this holds true either way.
If painting a wall (or all the walls) is at the top of your to-do list for this year, you've probably already chosen the best weekend to get it done and settled on the perfect colour scheme. After looking into how much it would cost to hire a professional to paint the interior of your home, you may have decided to do it yourself to save money. The best way to save money when painting your home is to do it yourself, provided the job is within your skill set and experience level. That said, the painting project needs to be manageable in order to work. Painting a brick house, for example, is a major exterior painting job that should be left to the pros.
Your next step, after settling on a DIY paint job, is to draw up a plan. After you've gathered all of your painting materials, you can set a date and time to get started. However, those who stick to their budgets religiously will want to save as much money as possible throughout the entire project, whether it's to get closer to their financial goals or to put more money towards other projects around the house.
Discover not only the general principles of painting, such as how to paint a wall, but also the specifics, such as how to paint corners. Costs can be kept to a minimum if proper preparation is made ahead of time, and the right paint colours and techniques are used.
Are you looking for the best company that paints homes? No need to look any further! You have nothing to worry about when you hire Hitch Property Constructions.
What is the average cost to paint a house?
HomeAdvisor reports that the average cost to paint a home's interior is just over $1,800 and that painting the exterior will set you back around $2,900. However, the price of painting can vary widely depending on the wall surfaces that need to be painted.
The size of the job, its condition, the surface being painted, and the location all play a role in determining the optimal paint to use and the associated per-square-foot cost. Size, condition, and scope of project all play a role in determining how much money and what kind of paint you'll need to get the job done.
To get a feel for how much painting your house will set you back, you should start with the cost of the materials. An average gallon of paint can be purchased for $15 to $40, depending on the store, and will cover about 350 square feet. Using the online tools provided by paint manufacturers, you can get a rough estimate of how many gallons of paint you'll need based on the size of the project.
The price tag rises or falls depending on factors like the complexity of the design and the number of rooms, as well as the materials used. Are you planning any major renovations? Check out HP Constructions Melbourne's extensive range of home renovations.
6 Tips for Saving on House-Painting Costs
If a painter's time is your biggest expense, cutting down on the amount of time they spend working will yield the greatest savings. There are additional methods available for saving money. Keep these pro tips in mind if you want to maximise your financial savings:
Get competing bids
It is important to get multiple estimates before hiring a painter. You can ask your friends for recommendations of good painters, or you can search the Hitch Property of Constructions website for member painters in your area who are licenced, where necessary, and insured.
Before hiring a painter, make sure you know how much time will be spent on prep and painting, which products will be used, how many coats will be applied, and how much each additional coat will cost.
Use a contract
The next step is to put your understanding in writing. Giving approximate durations for each step of the work to be done and favouring a less convoluted agreement, like "Our immediate goal is to putty and caulk the windows. We'll be using eggshell paint in two coats, and the colour is still up in the air."
Do all or some of the work yourself.
You can save a lot of money by doing the work yourself. A DIY project's most pricey material is its paint. Expenditures for materials and tools, such as caulk, primer, brushes, rollers, tarps, and ladders or scaffolding, can also add up. Brushes, rather than a sprayer, are the tool of choice for painting. Damage from overspraying is notoriously difficult to fix.
To cut down on the price of hiring a painter, you may want to see if there are any jobs you can handle yourself. Consider the following:
- The process of cutting back shrubs
- Preparing the work space for painting by moving furniture as well as sanitising the area around it.
- removing and replacing outlet covers, switch plates, and doorknob covers
- If you have the skills, you can help get things ready by patching, sanding, and scraping.
Don't wait too long to repaint
Painting, especially exterior walls, before there are any noticeable chips or peels. Don't wait until paint is flaking or peeling to address the problem. Inflated costs are to be expected if, before painting can begin, you need to spend forty hours cleaning and preparing the surface. Ten hours spent priming the to-be-painted areas will save you money, though.
Trim the scope of the job
The final step before signing a contract is to look for ways to cut costs on the less crucial parts of the job. In order to cut costs on paint and labour, you may decide not to repaint certain areas, such as the ceilings or the insides of the closets.
Think strategically about colour
In some cases, you may only need one coat of paint instead of two by simply recoating the existing colours rather than switching them out, provided that the surface is in good condition.
According to Bancroft, bold colours are best left out of the design altogether or used in small doses as trim or accents. Choose high-quality paints if you must use primary colours like red and yellow so that you can cover the surface in fewer coats. The brighter the colour, the more coats you may need to get good coverage.
But remember that darker colours will fade faster than lighter ones, so you'll have to repaint your exterior more often if you go with a darker shade. According to Bancroft, one's true character may be more daring and bold than their outward persona suggests. You can paint a door the colour of a fire engine every two years and it will always look brand new and energising.
How often should you repaint your home?
It's reasonable to expect to repaint your house more often than every 30 years, even if you're able to lock in a 30-year mortgage.
Every seven years or so, a homeowner should plan on giving the exterior of their home a fresh coat of paint to keep it looking its best. When painting the inside of your home, make sure to use high-quality paint so that your work will last longer than ten years.
- Put money down at the start. The temptation to save money by buying a less expensive paint is understandable, but in the long run, it is more likely that investing in a higher quality product will actually save you money. They can be cleaned more easily and maintain their appearance for longer with high-quality paint used from the start. Because of this, the homeowner shouldn't have to paint quite as soon.
- Do your best to maintain a tidy environment. Keeping the walls in your space looking clean and fresh is essential to the life of the paint. However, she does warn that not all cleaning products are created equal and that some may actually cause more issues than they resolve.
- Think about the alternatives. You scoured the Internet in search of the best mortgage lender possible, and you finally found one. Use the same degree of competitiveness you did before when giving it a new look. To be clear, you want the most affordable option, but you also want the group that can complete the job with the highest level of expertise.
- Do it on your own accord. If you're not satisfied with the painting estimates you've received and are comfortable working from a ladder, you might want to consider handling the job yourself. The cost of a do-it-yourself job painting the exterior of your home is estimated to be between $500 and $1,000. This does not include the roughly $300 that will be needed to purchase brushes, drop cloths, and other supplies. According to
- HomeAdvisor, the average cost of paint and decorating supplies for a single room is between $200 and $300. A word of caution, though: attempting to do things on your own can save you money in the long run, but it can also cause you a lot of stress if you discover that you aren't nearly as handy as you thought you were.
Even if you find ways to cut costs, it's possible that the total cost of painting your home will still be quite high if your home is particularly large or requires extensive touch-ups. Consider the cost of using designer paints throughout a three-story, 3,000-square-foot home with high ceilings: upwards of $10,000. Do you plan on painting the exterior of the home at the same time? You should be ready to tack on an extra $10,000.
If the cost of repainting your home is making you feel sick to your stomach, you may want to look into your options for obtaining a personal loan. These items are adaptable and can be used for many different types of DIY tasks around the house. You can afford to have your house painted and not worry about your savings account drying up while you pay the interest.
You could also consider getting a home equity loan to help you pay for all the maintenance and upgrades you want to make to your property. The first step is to think about whether or not getting a loan against your house is a good idea. Financing the cost of having your home painted with a home equity loan depends on a number of factors, including your ability to repay the loan, the type of loan you get, and the interest rate that you get.
What Are Typical Painting Jobs?
Some of the common services offered by painting companies are as follows:
- Painting is by far the most requested service for interiors, both for new surfaces and for repainting old ones.
- Painting the exterior of your home should be done every seven to ten years. You'll need some specialised tools and some paint to pull this off. It is highly advised that you seek professional help.
- Roofing painting is a specialised task that calls for the observance of specific safety protocols and the use of specific protective equipment.
- Most painters also offer wallpapering as a specialised service, and they are doing it now. Some painting businesses offer wallpaper installation alongside their services, while others focus solely on painting.
- Painting a fence - or any outdoor surface - requires specialised paint and a steady hand.
- Upkeep of timber - unlike other surface types, timber has unique requirements for preparation in order to ensure its longevity.
Is House Painting a Good Investment?
Depending on the size and complexity of the home, the price of an exterior paint job can range from a few thousand dollars to well over fifteen thousand. The greatest factor to think about is the potential ROI (return on investment) that can be gained from a professional paint job.
For example, if your home is currently valued at $600,000, you could make an extra $30,000 to $60,000 (roughly 5 to 10 percent) upon selling it. Your property's value will rise in tandem with the rate of inflation.
Investing in a home that the buyer can see themselves living in is important to them. Peeling paint and faded walls will turn off potential buyers and instead attract renovators looking to turn a quick profit.
Painting the interior and exterior of your home to perfection will increase the number of serious buyers interested in purchasing your property. At Hitch Property Constructions, we provides a wide range of home maintenance services.
7 Tricks for Saving Money on Interior House Painting
Rollers, brushes, tarps, painter's tape, and other painting supplies can be reused and recycled indefinitely, but paint has a limited lifespan. Look through your most recent stash of paints and tools, or see if a friend or neighbour can loan you theirs. (It will be quite some time before they need the materials, and you can assure them that you will return them in pristine condition.)
If borrowing isn't an option, companies like Backdrop and Clare sell and ship out complete painting kits to your home. If you buy high-quality materials now, you can save money on the next painting job you do.
Calculate wall space
A little bit of leftover paint is useful for touching up scuffs and scrapes later, but storing and responsibly disposing of a large quantity of paint is a hassle. You can figure out how many gallons of paint you'll need by measuring the area of the walls you'll be painting and plugging those numbers into a paint calculator (like the one offered by Sherwin-Williams). If you'll be painting a large, open space, buying paint in bulk could help you save a lot of money.
Invest in paint quality
Poor quality paints are often watery and require several coats to achieve full coverage. Paints that are cheap to buy might seem like a good idea at first, but they aren't. You should look for a paint that promises a certain quality or features, such as a self-primer, and is within the appropriate price range depending on the colour you intend to paint over. If the cost of the lifetime warranty is too high for your budget, you should forego it because it's more likely than not that you'll tyre of the paint's colour and want to repaint before the paint starts to show significant wear.
Use a primer only if necessary.
Most self-priming paints deliver results that are good enough that you won't need to buy a separate primer. However, if you are painting over a dark colour with a light one, or if the walls are particularly rough, you may be able to avoid applying multiple coats of paint (which is more expensive) by first applying a primer, which is relatively inexpensive.
Saving money on paint by painting multiple rooms with the same colour can be accomplished, especially if the colour in question is relatively inexpensive. Most people don't want every room in their home to be the same colour, but using the same hue in several locations can help cut costs. It would be better to use that colour on the ceilings and trim throughout the house than to paint all the walls. This will give the house a more polished look and allow you to save money by buying the paint in bulk. Given the potential for frequent touch-ups to the trim and baseboards, this is an especially useful feature to have.
Cleaning the walls first, covering the doorknobs and the floors, removing the outlet plates and the switch covers, and using painter's tape are all things that will save you time and money when preparing a space to be painted. Paint that gets on surfaces it shouldn't creates a huge mess and, in some cases, necessitates the purchase of new hardware. Protect yourself from harm to ensure that every drop of paint is used to its full potential.
It could be tempting to rush through the painting itself after all this time has been spent on planning and prep work. However, doing things like cutting in properly and rolling out smoothly and evenly can help guarantee a good result. One of the most costly errors is rushing through a paint job and making a mess that needs to be fixed from scratch.
It can be costly to paint either the interior or exterior of your home. You can save money without sacrificing quality with a little forethought. If you have the necessary skills and experience, doing the work yourself is the best way to save money. There is a wide range, from $20 to $60 per hour, for the services of painters. The national average for the price of interior house painting is slightly over $1,800.
An estimate of $2,900 is needed to cover the cost of exterior painting. How much money you'll need for a job depends on a number of factors, including its size, condition, and scope. In a do-it-yourself job, the paint will cost the most. Paint is applied with brushes rather than a sprayer. If you have to spend 40 hours cleaning and preparing the surface before you can start painting, you can expect your costs to go up.
More frequent than once every 30 years, painting your home is something you should plan on doing. A homeowner should plan on repainting the exterior once every seven years. For interior painting, nothing but the best will do. Typically, it will cost you somewhere in the range of $200 and $300 for paint and decorating materials for a single room. The average cost of exterior house painting, done by the homeowner, is between $500 and $1,000.
It is possible that the use of certain cleaning products will exacerbate rather than alleviate the underlying problem. It's possible that the overall cost of painting your home will be quite high, even if you find ways to cut costs. If you have a three-story, 3,000-square-foot home with high ceilings, you can expect to spend upwards of $10,000 on designer paint to cover the entire interior. More serious buyers will be interested in purchasing your home if you paint both the interior and exterior. Potential buyers will be turned off by peeling paint and faded walls, but renovators will be drawn to them.
You can save money on the next painting job you do if you invest in high-quality materials now. Low-cost paints may seem like a good idea at first, but they usually end up being a poor choice. You should try to find a paint that makes some sort of claim about its quality or features, like being self-priming. Lifetime warranties are great, but don't buy one if they're going to break your bank. Preparing the walls for painting ahead of time can save you time and money by preventing the spread of dust and dirt, protecting the doorknobs and floors, and limiting the need for new paint. Use every last drop of paint effectively by keeping yourself safe.
- The total cost of hiring a professional painter to paint the exterior of a two-story, 2,500 square foot home is roughly $4,000.
- This does not include the cost of the paint or the cost of labour.
- After looking into how much it would cost to hire a professional to paint the interior of your home, you may have decided to do it yourself to save money.
- Your next step, after settling on a DIY paint job, is to draw up a plan.
- To get a feel for how much painting your house will set you back, you should start with the cost of the materials.
- You can save a lot of money by doing the work yourself.
- The final step before signing a contract is to look for ways to cut costs on the less crucial parts of the job.
- But remember that darker colours will fade faster than lighter ones, so you'll have to repaint your exterior more often if you go with a darker shade.
- You can paint a door the colour of a fire engine every two years and it will always look brand new and energising.
- It's reasonable to expect to repaint your house more often than every 30 years, even if you're able to lock in a 30-year mortgage.
- Every seven years or so, a homeowner should plan on giving the exterior of their home a fresh coat of paint to keep it looking its best.
- When painting the inside of your home, make sure to use high-quality paint so that your work will last longer than ten years.
- They can be cleaned more easily and maintain their appearance for longer with high-quality paint used from the start.
- Do your best to maintain a tidy environment.
- Keeping the walls in your space looking clean and fresh is essential to the life of the paint.
- Think about the alternatives.
- You scoured the Internet in search of the best mortgage lender possible, and you finally found one.
- Do it on your own accord.
- The cost of a do-it-yourself job painting the exterior of your home is estimated to be between $500 and $1,000.
- You could also consider getting a home equity loan to help you pay for all the maintenance and upgrades you want to make to your property.
- Financing the cost of having your home painted with a home equity loan depends on a number of factors, including your ability to repay the loan, the type of loan you get, and the interest rate that you get.
- Depending on the size and complexity of the home, the price of an exterior paint job can range from a few thousand dollars to well over fifteen thousand.
- Painting the interior and exterior of your home to perfection will increase the number of serious buyers interested in purchasing your property.
- Invest in paint quality
- You should look for a paint that promises a certain quality or features, such as a self-primer, and is within the appropriate price range depending on the colour you intend to paint over.
- Use a primer only if necessary.
- Saving money on paint by painting multiple rooms with the same colour can be accomplished, especially if the colour in question is relatively inexpensive.
- It would be better to use that colour on the ceilings and trim throughout the house than to paint all the walls.
- This will give the house a more polished look and allow you to save money by buying the paint in bulk.
FAQs About Home Painting
According to HomeAdvisor, the cost of hiring a professional painter can range anywhere from $1,000 to $6,000 or even more, depending on the size and condition of your home. If you hire a painter, you should be prepared to pay this amount. You can save money on labour, which is typically more than half of the total cost, if you undertake the project on your own as a do-it-yourself endeavour.
You can save anywhere from fifty to sixty percent of the total cost if you do all of the work yourself. Aside from the cost, you need to think about how much time it will take you to complete this project on your own, how well you paint, and the level of quality you want the finished product to have.
If your wood surfaces go unprotected, they can absorb water from rain and dew and begin to soften, swell and decay, thus leading to the replacement of boards or even entire decks or siding. Painting maintenance & upkeep may make a difference in the life of your painted surfaces.
There are many variables to determining how long a paint job will last like the quality of the paint and the condition of the surface you're painting. In general, interior paint will last from 5 to 10 years. You can expect your exterior paint to last between 5 to 7 years.
The paint will be applied much thicker when rolling a house as opposed to spraying it, which will result in overall better coverage than if it had been sprayed. This is one of the advantages of rolling as opposed to spraying. Rolling a house eliminates the risk of things like overspray, which makes it much easier to be precise. Additionally, it makes it much simpler to do so.