Let's be honest: doing chores around the house isn't exactly something any of us looks forward to doing. Even though we can't promise that a laundry room makeover will magically turn you into the type of person who enjoys singing while they wash their clothes, we can guarantee that it will make the chore more bearable.
One of the hardest-working rooms in the house is the one used for doing laundry. If you have a family, especially one with young children, you are well aware of how challenging it can be to stay on top of the laundry and of the amount of time that can be consumed by this chore. Keeping this in mind, the layout of your laundry room needs to be practical, the appliances need to be functional, and there needs to be a lot of bench space for clothes, baskets, and other laundry necessities. Unfortuitously, the laundry room is often an afterthought in many homes, and as a result, the floor plan is typically not as desirable as it could be and is not as user-friendly as it could be.
So, let's say you've decided the time is right to give your laundry room a facelift and make it roomier and more practical. In that case, we have all the information you need regarding how much it will cost to renovate your laundry room. The amount will vary depending on the size of your laundry room as well as whether you want a luxurious or simple laundry room renovation. Hitch Property Constructions has a wide range of Melbourne leak detection.
Whether doing the laundry is a walk in the park or the bane of your existence may well depend on how well-designed the room is. Here are some tips to help you make your washing room work.
FAQs About Laundry
Use Laundry Borax or Baking Soda
If you have no detergent at all, use one cup of borax or baking soda for a normal load. The clothing will be cleaner than you imagine thanks to the action of the cleaning agents, water, and the agitation from the washer.
Absolutely! Using fabric softener in your wash is an effective way to reduce wrinkles, prevent static build-up, make your clothes feel softer, and leave them smelling fresh. A fabric softener can also extend your clothes' life by preventing 'cling' caused by static electricity and avoiding wear and tear.
If you have a regular top-loading machine, it's best to fill your washer with water first, then add your detergent, then add your clothes. This helps evenly distribute the detergent in the water before it hits your clothes. Remember that the nicer you are to your washer and dryer the longer they'll last.
If your clothes are really dirty, it stands to reason that you'll need extra laundry detergent. Wrong! It's better to wash a load twice in a row with a normal amount of detergent than load up on extra detergent. Many machines have a prewash setting that can be used as well.
Detergents and other cleaning products contain surfactants, which are molecules that improve the mixing between water and other substances, such as oil or grease. The surfactant allows water to penetrate into a stain and lift the dirt particles off the fabric; the rinse then sweeps the dirt away.
How Much Does A Laundry Renovation Cost?
The typical cost to renovate a laundry in Australia ranges from $5,000 to $10,000, and this does not include the cost of new appliances. The cost will vary depending on the size of your laundry and the quality of the materials used. The quality of the materials used in your laundry room should be on par with the quality of the materials used in your kitchen or bathroom, or it should be slightly reduced. This is a good rule of thumb. After all, it's not like you'll be throwing dinner parties there any time soon!
If you need new appliances, such as a front loader washing machine, a top loader washing machine, or a clothes dryer, it is often worthwhile to consider their performance and reliability before making a purchase. Other factors to take into consideration include their quietness, design, value for money, and additional functionality.
DIY Renovation Costs
The results of research that was carried out in 2018 revealed that the fifth most common room to remodel is the laundry room. This finding was based on the findings of the research. If you plan to complete the renovations on your own, the average cost for a smaller laundry room is between $2,000 and $3,000, while the cost of a larger laundry room that is at least 5 square metres in size ranges from between $3,000 and $4,000.
Professional Renovation Costs
On the other hand, if you plan to hire tradies to complete the renovation for you, you should be prepared for a significantly higher bill when the project is finally finished. According to the findings of some studies, the average cost to renovate a standard laundry room with some bells and whistles is approximately $17,500, whereas the cost to renovate a luxury laundry room with all of the bells and whistles is approximately $19,000. The costs of labour for a plumber, waterproofer, tiler, and someone to instal your fittings are factored into these estimates in addition to the cost of new fittings themselves. If you are interested in renovating a standard laundry room, you should anticipate spending approximately $16,000 on the project.
How Much Will Appliances Cost?
When you are planning a renovation of your laundry room, it is absolutely necessary to factor in the cost of purchasing new appliances and fittings. This is in addition to any alterations, both structural and cosmetic, that you intend to make to the property.
- The cost of a dryer can range anywhere from $500 to $2,000, depending on its size and brand. If you want to save money, however, you should consider purchasing a combination unit that includes both a washer and a dryer.
- There is a $30 to $80 price range for an exhaust fan that, when used in conjunction with a dryer, can reduce the amount of moisture that is produced.
- You have the ability to set the price of tapware to whatever level you desire; however, for a tapware set up that is relatively standard, you should anticipate spending anywhere from $50 to $100 for it.
- If you are satisfied with a standard sink rather than a custom design made of stone, ceramic, or marble, then you can expect to pay anywhere from $100 to $500 for your purchase, depending on the size and brand. If you are not content with a standard sink, then you can expect to pay more.
How Can I Finance The Renovation Work?
Before you begin the work, it is important to give some thought to how you will pay for it.
Possible choices are as follows:
- One of your choices is to pay for it out of your own pocket, either by using your savings, an offset account on your mortgage, or a redraw facility, if either of these features are available on your home loan.
- Refinancing the mortgage, you currently have on your home; or
- When looking into the possibility of obtaining a new loan, it is important to keep in mind that the particulars of your circumstance will determine which type of loan, a personal loan or a construction loan, will be most suitable for your needs.
What Exactly Is A Realistic Timeline?
Get In Touch With Your Local Council.
To find out what kinds of approvals and licences you need to remodel your laundry room, check with your local Development Control Plan (DCP). Different permits may be needed for the construction of apartment complexes and single-family homes, or none may be needed at all, depending on the scope of the project. In most cases, a permit is required before you can legally increase the size of your existing residence. If you are just changing the paint colour or installing new flooring, you may not need one. The typical processing time for a work permit is between five and fifteen business days, but this might vary widely from one location to another.
Verify Your Housing Insurance Policy.
Take the necessary steps to insure your property. While it's not always necessary to notify your insurance of a planned project, doing so can help you get the best rates and coverage.
Test The Materials
A expert who really can test the presence of potentially dangerous compounds should be consulted prior to any demolition or handling of insulation or drywall in a residence built before 1980. In the event that asbestos, lead, or other potentially dangerous materials are found, they must be removed and disposed of in a way that is both safe and compliant with regulations.
Finish A Structural Testing
Talking to a framing expert is a good idea before attempting to relocate or demolish a wall to ensure that the material you plan to work with is not actually part of the building's framework.
Ask Your Neighbors For Opinions
Apartment complex residents may be required by Strata to inform their neighbours of upcoming construction or renovations.
Turn Off Water, Power, And All Other Connected Services
Any plumbing work, such as installing a basin, washing station, basin taps, etc., will necessitate this. If you want to avoid a disastrous scenario, you need to make sure that everything is unplugged and switched off.
How To Plan Your Budget
Cost Of Permits
If you need permission, it will cost you between $500 and $2,000.
Cost Of A Carpenter
Carpenters can command $40-$80 an hour, give or take, depending on the area. The cost of their labour will also be affected by the nature of the project they are currently working on. If you want custom cabinets for your laundry room or want to instal it yourself, you'll need a carpenter with more experience. Skilled carpenters might earn $80 an hour or more in the labour market.
The Cost Of Testing And Removing Materials
Take a look at the prices for transforming a laundry room. Inquire as to whether or whether testing of potentially dangerous substances is obligatory. The expense of employing a professional and the cost of potential removal must both be thought about. Moving costs are itemised, so get an accurate estimate by making a list of everything that needs to be packed up.
Cost Of A Plumber
A plumber's hourly charge might vary from $100 to $150, depending on the plumber's experience and the location of the job. Basin faucet replacement and installation can cost anywhere from $80 to $250, while a new basin or sink might cost anywhere from $160 to $550.
Cost Of A Structural Test
If you need the assistance of a framing expert, you should get a price estimate from a reliable neighbourhood handyman.
Cost Of A Painter
Painters typically charge by the square metre. The going rate in Australia is somewhere in the range of $12-$30 per square metre.
Cost Of A Tiler
Tile installation by a professional can cost you between $46 and $150 per square metre. The cost of floor repair and waterproofing is factored into this estimate. The answer to this question will vary with the type of material employed. To put it simply, vinyl tiles are less expensive because they are easier to install and need less labour to put in place than ceramic or quarry tiles.
Cost Of Materials
The cost of a basin varies both in terms of quality and brand. A custom stone, marble or ceramic basin can cost thousands of dollars, whereas a conventional sink will cost from $100 and $500. An alternative is to invest in a laundry trough unit, which includes both the cabinet and the tub, and can be yours for anywhere between $250 and $1,100.
If you have a clothes dryer, installing an exhaust fan may be a good idea. The price range is $30-$150.
Depending on the type of tapware, the brand name, and the market demand, the price can range from $50 to $500. When deciding how much to spend on tapware, consider both your available budget and your personal aesthetic tastes.
Benchtops for a laundry room can range in cost from inexpensive to extravagant, based on factors like size and quality of construction. Benchtops constructed of natural stone can cost anywhere from $800 to $2,200 per square metre, whereas laminate countertops cost anywhere from $120 to $350 per square metre.
Many homeowners install tile or vinyl for their laundry rooms because of the durability and easy maintenance. Natural stone tiles of superior quality can cost anywhere from $50 to $100 per square metre, far more than the standard $35 to $50 that is the industry standard for ceramic tiles. Tiles for the ground can range greatly in cost, depending on both who makes them and how well they are finished.
You should expect to pay more for custom-built cabinetry or for stock cabinets constructed from a more affordable material. The price range is from $300 to $2,000.
Cost Of Appliances
Prices range from $600 to $2,000, with a wide variation in quality, brand, and energy star rating.
If you're short on cash and square footage, a washer/dryer combo is an excellent option. Common prices range from $ 500 to $2 000.
Who Are The Tradespeople You Will Need?
Lead And Asbestos Removalists With A License
If lead or asbestos is found in the soil around your home, you will need to make some changes. If you want it gone, you'll have to pay for the services of a licensed removalist.
A Structural Tester
You should get an expert opinion before attempting to relocate or demolish a wall to make sure it isn't a structural element of the building.
A Plumbers And An Electrician
You may need to hire professional plumbers and electricians, depending on the scope of the job. If no sink or faucet is present, you may need to hire a plumber to help you out. To completely rebuild the plumbing for a laundry room's sink, washers, and dryers could take up to two days.
A Licensed Carpenter
A carpenter's services may be sought out for the installation of new cabinets and benchtops during a laundry room renovation. Carpenters can aid in both of these areas.
A Professional Painter
If you want to update your laundry room or build a brand new one, you should hire a professional painter. walls, A professional painter will paint all of the interior surfaces of a space, including the ceiling, and doors, to a high quality.
A Qualified Tiler
Because of their durability in moist environments, tiles are typically installed in kitchens, mudrooms, and utility rooms. You should hire a professional if you want to tile the floor of your laundry room. In addition to specific tool and equipment knowledge, extensive prior experience is also required for this role.
What Is The Best Layout For A Laundry Room?
Taking into mind the space's dimensions and shape can help you develop a plan that works beautifully in your home. To maximise bench and storage space, consider arranging your laundry appliances in a L form, with the washer and dryer on one side of the room. Clothes rails are a lifesaver when it's raining outdoors, and you need to dry some goods but don't have a drying rack. Having dirty laundry baskets in the laundry room is a fantastic idea since it keeps bedrooms and bathrooms free of cluttered piles and saves you the trouble of going from room to room collecting dirty laundry.
Ideas For Designing Your Laundry Room
- Find some laundry room inspiration by gathering photos, then choose on a colour scheme you'll want to use again and again. Make sure the benches can accommodate laundry baskets, as well as the space needed for sorting and folding.
- Hanging rods must be installed so that laundry can be dried indoors.
- Mounting your washer and dryer on the wall could free up valuable square footage on your floor.
- It's a good idea to consider putting doors to disguise your laundry area, especially in small flats.
What Can I Do To Keep My Laundry Organized?
The two most critical elements of a well-organised laundry room are ample storage space and a designated spot for every item. Before settling on a design for your laundry room, consider the activities you plan to carry out there and the amount of space you will need to carry them out. If you've always wished you had a special spot to set up your sewing machine or repair box, you could do worse than to include a tiny desk and chair off to one side of the room. If this has always been a goal of yours, then great! If your home lacks a designated space for filthy shoes, bags, hats, and coats, the laundry room is a wonderful spot to set one up. Alternately, if your laundry area is downstairs and separate from the main kitchen, you might transform it into a combined laundry room and second kitchen by installing a small refrigerator and a cabinet for storage a few items you need daily, such as glasses and water bottles, to cut down on the number of times you have to go up and down the stairs.
Also, decide what you intend to store in the laundry room. You'll need more space in the cabinets if you want to keep things like an ironing board and a vacuum cleaner in this area. If you have the room for it, a double sink is really practical; you can wash your hands in one while using the other to accomplish things like empty a bucket, rinse a paint brush, add extra ice to a champagne bucket, etc. You can get by with a single sink if you're short on room. We have a wide range of Melbourne laundry renovations services at Hitch Property Constructions.
Buy containers that will fit under your sink and can be filled with water. As a result, you can quickly and conveniently fill them with water and take them out of the sink.
Laundry is one of the most time-consuming household chores, but it can be made much more manageable with well-organised cabinets and a designated spot for everything. A more open and airy home will make it simpler to keep up with tasks, even if it can't iron your clothing or fold your laundry.
Laundry rooms are often an afterthought in home plans. In Australia, laundry room renovations cost between AU$5,000 and AU$10,000. A typical laundry room renovation costs $17,500. A plumber, waterproofer, tiler, and fixture installer will cost between $2,000 and $19,000. Typical tapware costs $50 to $100.
Sinks cost $100 to $500, depending on whether you want a standard or unique type. Consult a framing expert before relocating or dismantling a wall. A plumber's hourly pay is $100 to $150. Tile installation costs $46 to $150 per square metre. Those with limited space and budget should invest in a washer-dryer combo.
Real stone countertops cost $800 to $2,200 per square metre. Lead or asbestos in the soil near your property will require professional removal. No sink or faucet may require a plumber. Repiping from the sink to the washers and dryers can take two days. Professional painters will also paint ceilings and doors.
Suppose you've ever wanted a place to put up your sewing machine or repair box, incorporating a small workstation and chair. If your laundry room is below and not next to the main kitchen, transform it into a second kitchen.
- One of the hardest-working rooms in the house is the one used for doing laundry.
- In that case, we have all the information you need regarding how much it will cost to renovate your laundry room.
- The cost will vary depending on the size of your laundry and the quality of the materials used.
- Suppose you need new appliances, such as a front loader washing machine, a top loader washing machine, or a clothes dryer. In that case, it is often worthwhile to consider their performance and reliability before purchasing.
- Research results in 2018 revealed that the laundry room is the fifth most common room to remodel.
- If you want to renovate a standard laundry room, you should anticipate spending approximately $16,000 on the project.
- When planning a renovation of your laundry room, it is necessary to factor in the cost of purchasing new appliances and fittings.
- You can set the price of tapware to whatever level you desire; however, for a tapware set-up that is relatively standard, you should anticipate spending anywhere from $50 to $100 for it.
- You can expect to pay more if you are not content with a standard sink.
- Before you begin the work, it is important to consider how you will pay for it.
- Refinancing the mortgage, you currently have on your home; or When looking into the possibility of obtaining a new loan, it is important to keep in mind that the particulars of your circumstance will determine which type of loan, a personal loan or a construction loan, will be most suitable for your needs.
- To find out what approvals and licences you need to remodel your laundry room, check with your local Development Control Plan (DCP).
- If asbestos, lead, or other potentially dangerous materials are found, they must be removed and disposed of in a way that is safe and compliant with regulations.
- Talking to a framing expert is a good idea before attempting to relocate or demolish a wall to ensure that the material you plan to work with is not part of the building's framework.
- If you want custom cabinets for your laundry room or want to install them yourself, you'll need a carpenter with more experience.
- The expense of employing a professional and the cost of potential removal must be considered.
- If you need the assistance of a framing expert, you should get a price estimate from a reliable neighbourhood handyman.
- Consider your available budget and aesthetic tastes when deciding how much to spend on tapware.
- Benchtops for a laundry room can range in cost from inexpensive to extravagant, based on factors like size and quality of construction.
- Many homeowners install tile or vinyl for their laundry rooms because of their durability and easy maintenance.
- Tiles for the ground can range greatly in cost, depending on who makes them and how well they are finished.
- If you're short on cash and square footage, a washer/dryer combo is an excellent option.
- Lead And Asbestos Removalists With A License If lead or asbestos is found in the soil around your home, you will need to make some changes.
- Completing the plumbing for a laundry room's sink, washers, and dryers could take up to two days.
- A carpenter's services may be sought to install new cabinets and benchtops during a laundry room renovation.
- Hire a professional painter to update your laundry room or build a brand-new one.
- Walls, A professional painter will paint all of the interior surfaces of the space, including the ceiling and doors, to a high quality.
- You should hire a professional if you want to tile your laundry room floor.
- To maximise bench and storage space, consider arranging your laundry appliances in the L form, with the washer and dryer on one side of the room.
- Make sure the benches can accommodate laundry baskets and the space needed for sorting and folding.
- Mounting your washer and dryer on the wall could free up valuable square footage on your floor.
- Consider putting doors to disguise your laundry area, especially in small flats.
- Before settling on a design for your laundry room, consider the activities you plan to carry out there and the amount of space you will need to carry them out.
- The laundry room is a wonderful spot to set up if your home lacks a designated space for dirty shoes, bags, hats, and coats.
- You'll need more space in the cabinets if you want to keep things like an ironing board and a vacuum cleaner in this area.