If you don't want to spend $20,000 or more updating your kitchen, you can be stuck with an old, inefficient, or dull room. By explaining the expenses involved, this essay demonstrates that this is not the case. Kitchen remodels on a tight budget are nothing new, and we've found that doing work in stages helps keep costs down. It's not necessary to replace all of the windows in your kitchen at once.
Most homeowners may update their kitchens on a budget with little difficulty and without making any big structural adjustments.
Spending $5,000 on a kitchen remodel may seem like a lot, but that money will be gone in no time. This budget could be quickly depleted by even one luxury appliance. However, many people only have a few thousand dollars to go on a kitchen renovation.
If you don't have the money for a complete remodel with high-end fittings and fixtures, $5,000 will still get you quite far. There are a number of variables that will determine your level of success. Hitch Property Constructions has an extensive range of kitchen renovation Melbourne to take the hassle out of deciding the right furniture that matches.
First Things First
Cabinets, cabinet lighting, paint, hardware, flooring, storage, appliances, and countertops are just some of the kitchen elements that could benefit from an upgrade.
First, you should get rid of any old or broken cupboards. This year's trendiest colours are white, grey, and black. The whole price should be around $1500, but don't forget to add in money for the knobs, taps, and sinks. There is also the option of wearing a pendant.
Put things away in wall cabinets. Add two pantry end panels and slimline cabinets above a freestanding refrigerator to maximise space. Bring in two sets of drawer inserts. Having a kitchen island in an open floor design is becoming increasingly common in 2018.
When it comes to real estate, location is key. In particular:
- The cost of materials may vary depending on your location; people in more remote places may pay more due to increased shipping costs.
- If you live in a top-floor walk-up flat, for instance, your tradies will tack on the time it takes them to get up and down the stairs to their bill.
- Any adjustments to your water, electricity, or gas supply will need to be accomplished by an experienced specialist and are often fairly pricey, so their location could have a significant impact on the final expense of your restoration.
... and the extent to which the area is used
The rule of thumb is that the more square footage you have to work with, the greater the expense of renovation will be, but maybe you've always wanted a huge gourmet kitchen. This is because more materials (cabinetry, benchtops, flooring, paint, etc.), as well as more labour, are required to effectively fit out a larger floorplan.
However, despite having a larger kitchen, a small budget can still get you quite far.
Focusing on a few critical modifications, such as changing the cabinetry, can have a big impact while reducing the renovation costs to a minimal. In many cases, the true motivation for a kitchen remodel is so the homeowner can enjoy working in the space more.
But Good Planning Will Always Help Stretch Your Dollar Further
The true keys to a successful remodelling on a tight budget are a clear understanding of your intended outcomes and the deliberateness with which you approach your design decisions. Better decisions may be made on which tasks should be prioritised and which ones can be compromised on if you keep your end goal in mind as you work.
Check out our range of kitchen renovation at Hitch Property Constructions.
Extra methods to increase your renovations' ROI include:
- You can save money on the contractors and contractors' fees if you perform some of the work yourself, such as tearing out the old kitchen, and you'll feel better about yourself for having done so.
- The use of laminates, which have come a long way and are now almost indistinguishable from the genuine thing, as a more affordable alternative to designer finishes.
- One great approach to save money on a designer kitchen is to take advantage of the free consultations offered by most kitchen providers. The best method to achieve a designer look without breaking the bank is to take advantage of free design assistance.
One of the most utilised rooms in the house may be updated for less than $5,000, and that kind of money can be used for a lot more than just paint or wallpaper. Although it's unlikely that you'll be able to implement all of these ideas within your budget in a single year, doing so will give you a solid understanding of what you can achieve at a reduced cost.
If you delegate some of the work and enlist the help of professionals, you may make significant changes to your kitchen without breaking the bank.
Now, let's take a look at the most expensive parts of a typical kitchen renovation.
- A small kitchen might feel larger if more storage or counter space is added.
- You can update the look of your kitchen by replacing white appliances with stainless steel or slate models. Appliances that use less energy are better for the environment and the wallet.
- When there's enough room, kitchen islands are a great place to put extra storage and work space.
- The costliest part of a kitchen remodel is usually the cabinetry. Changing the look of your cabinets without replacing them.
- Altering the kitchen's countertops is a quick and easy way to make a big impact. Countertops rarely get mixed and matched to save money.
- Save money by learning these simple tricks for adding storage in your kitchen.
- Affordable kitchen remodels don't have to sacrifice functionality or individuality. Think about how the room will look with the new lighting, flooring, and backsplash.
- Fixing the counter top. The kitchen countertops should then be replaced. If you're looking for a material to compliment your cabinets that can simulate stone, consider laminate.
- Other materials include vinyl, bamboo, concrete, and tile. The specialised paints from White Knight Paints and Rust-Oleum can be used to give old countertops, tiles, and cabinetry a brand new look.
- Get your cooking area up to speed. In order to avoid breaking the bank, it is recommended to look into a $1000–$2000 appliance package or products that may revitalise old equipment and bronze range hoods. Think about purchasing a stove, refrigerator, and dishwasher that all coordinate with one another. It's also fashionable to have high-tech gadgets in the kitchen, so think about getting appliances in sleek dark metal finishes like grey.
- Restoration of worn flooring. Floor prices are based on square metres and the type of flooring used. Linoleum and vinyl flooring for a standard-sized kitchen often cost less than $2000.
Kitchen Renovations That Cost $5000 or Less
Kitchen renovations may be rather pricey. A recent Consumer Reports poll found that the average cost to remodel a kitchen is between $25,000 and $50,000. You might be shocked to hear that the entire cost of a kitchen makeover is not as high as you might think it is when you include in everything that goes into it, from cabinetry and worktops to appliances and even cheaper items like hardware.
Looking for kitchen renovation Melbourne? Look no further? Hitch Property Constructions has you covered. But if you're looking to update your kitchen for $5000 or less, consider these options:
Grace in My Space's homeowner, Sarah, had first sought bids for a kitchen remodel before deciding to build it herself after receiving estimates that were tens of thousands of dollars higher than she had anticipated. We were able to give it a new look without breaking the bank by making a few simple but impactful adjustments, such as swapping out a closed cabinet for open shelving, having some sleek pendant lights made to fit the room perfectly, painting the remaining cabinets, and scattering colourful accents here and there.
Gray and White Galley
Making clever sacrifices to reduce costs without sacrificing elegance. A few standout features include: using a laminate that mimics stone rather than the more expensive real thing; selecting simpler tiles but laying them in an interesting pattern with high-contrast grout; and settling on lighting and shelving from IKEA that looks a lot fancier than the price tag would indicate.
These resourceful measures, in addition to the ever-revolutionary paint, allowed for a facelift that didn't break the bank (in this case, grey paint in varying tones for the upper and lower cabinets).
Smart Gut Job
This kitchen was a veritable time bomb when the new owners moved in. A residence with a "sausage and pee" odour had prompted suspicions that it was a meth lab. Used appliances, remnant stone for the island, and inexpensive IKEA cabinets let Rachel and her husband create a beautiful kitchen from scratch for about $5,000.
You may find... on the website A Beautiful Mess. Mandi spent just over $2000 on the makeover. She found cheaper options to the lighting she had in mind by painting the existing lights, using shiplap for the backsplash instead of tiles, and shopping around. She also used hardware store knobs that were brass-plated to save money among the more expensive genuine brass fixtures.
Cost to Remodel a Kitchen
How Much Does It Cost to Remodel a Kitchen?
The typical cost of a kitchen makeover is $25,000. The average cost of a high-end kitchen makeover is over $50,000. The price of your new kitchen will vary widely based on factors such as the size of the space, the quality of the materials you choose, and the cost of labour in your area.
Kitchen makeovers are widespread and usually pay off for homeowners. Improvements are worthwhile if you spend a lot of time in your kitchen. Modernizing your kitchen can improve the functionality, aesthetic, and resale value of your property. It might be worthwhile to invest in renovations now if you want to sell your property shortly.
If you're thinking about remodelling your kitchen, now is the time to get in touch with a professional. Hiring a remodelling firm is a good first step in the process. Get a professional kitchen designer involved if you plan on making big adjustments. There is a vast range of prices associated with kitchen remodels, so it is important to plan ahead. While it's possible to get good results by doing some of the job yourself, it's always best to hire a professional. Find out how much money a kitchen makeover will cost and what you can do with that money.
The kitchen's size will determine the total price. Research determined that kitchens with a floor space of less than 200 square feet were considered little while those larger than that were considered large. The study found that the average cost of a kitchen makeover was $13,700 for a moderate redesign and $25,800 for a significant one. Both the small and large kitchen remodels cost around $42,000. Greater investment in time, money, and supplies is needed for the renovation of a larger kitchen.
What Kitchen Renovations Can Be Made on a Budget of About $3,000 to $12,000?
You may still make significant kitchen updates even on a low budget, especially if you are willing to perform some of the work yourself. It's possible you'll have to prioritise certain areas of the kitchen for renovation while putting off others.
- Buying new appliances is an option for almost any household. New ovens and refrigerators can be found at a wide range of prices.
- Putting up a backsplash will cost between $200 and $500. Refreshing your kitchen's aesthetic while also shielding your walls from splatters is possible with a tile backsplash. Putting in a backsplash without professional help is feasible.
- To save money on your redesign, consider swapping out your existing counters for something more affordable. Laminate, vinyl, and tile are all low-priced flooring choices. Marble, granite, and quartz can all be imitated by using laminate or vinyl.
- A new sink and faucet in the kitchen is one of the least expensive ways to modernise your home. If you're looking to modernise your kitchen, think about installing a stainless steel sink or a drop-in sink in the style of a farmhouse.
- Putting in new lights is a simple and inexpensive method to modernise your kitchen's appearance. Lighting that uses less energy is one way to cut costs.
- You may give your kitchen a fresh new look by painting the walls or ceiling. The majority of kitchen wall space is taken up by cabinets and appliances, leaving less room for paint. It costs between $200 and $800 to paint a room, depending on whether you hire a professional or do it yourself.
- Kitchens can be completely revamped by refinishing or refacing the cabinets. It costs between $800 and $3,000 to refinish or reface a set of cabinets.
Kitchen Appliances When Remodeling
The appliances in our kitchen are crucial. Visualize your home devoid of modern conveniences like a refrigerator, microwave, and dishwasher.
While there may be a lot of bells and whistles available for your appliances, you may not need them all. Two elements are necessary for kitchen remodelling on a budget:
If you don't want to have to rearrange your kitchen or bathroom cabinets, electrical outlets, or plumbing, then size really counts.
Don't try to save money on utilities by cutting corners on energy efficiency.
Save money on energy costs while you renovate your kitchen into the space of your dreams. A "builder appliance package" typically includes four or more appliances for a reduced price. If you can wait until a holiday weekend, you can get significant discounts on appliances.
Smaller kitchens may have fewer islands to choose from. The kitchen island is a perfect spot to experiment with new cabinet and countertop combinations. Cabinets offer a variety of options for extra shelving and work surfaces. You can use your kitchen island as more counter space without increasing the apparent size of your kitchen.
FAQs About KItchen Renovation
The first step of any kitchen remodel is tear out and demolition. Before you are ready to create a beautiful new space, it is important to demolish and get rid of what's outdated or worn out. This is the time when you rip out anything you don't want to keep including walls, cabinetry, flooring, fixtures, or more.
When you're ready to put the remodeled kitchen back together, we recommend this order of steps to complete your renovation:
- Configure plumbing and electrical. ...
- Paint the room.
- Install new flooring.
- Add kitchen cabinets.
- Install countertops.
- Place large appliances.
- Fasten cabinet hardware.
- Put in the backsplash.
In most cases, given standard flooring heights, you will install the cabinets before the floor covering. Floor covering, or finish flooring, is the surface that you see and walk on, not the subfloor (under the underlayment) or underlayment (between the subfloor and finished layer).
On average it takes between 1 – 4 weeks to fit a kitchen.
If you're replacing your existing kitchen with the same layout and position of appliances, with no need for a new floor or decorating, then it can be relatively quick and closer to 1 week.
You can actually start painting your walls prior to installing your kitchen. It's a good idea to start on the undercoats and move onto the first coats before your kitchen gets installed so you won't have as much work to do afterwards.